Saturday, 7 January 2017

Waking in the Darkness (Introduction)

Hello fellow survivors! Like many of you I am a major fan of Kingdom Death: Monster and it has captivated me since Adam brought us the original Kickstarter in 2012. At the time I wasn't able (at least that's what I tell myself now) to back the Kickstarter but even as production dragged on I found myself pulled time and time again back to this game and the amazing miniatures produced by Kingdom Death. Finally, after the core game was delivered I took the plunge in 2016 and bought it.

I was not disappointed. The game held the perfect combination of dark fantasy, role-playing, tactical combat and strategic settlement and character building, and miniature assembly/painting to hook me instantly. As a long time miniature wargamer (GW and Historical wargames mostly), I soon found that I was devoting more and more time to Kingdom Death due to my love for it, the amazing models, and my desire to move away from a strictly competitive way of enjoying my hobby to one that was more collaborative and could be done solo as well. After a move for work later in 2016 to an area without a thriving war-gaming scene Kingdom Death: Monster quickly became "my game", whatever expansions were soon in the mail and on their way to my gaming table.

So why then have I started a blog about Kingdom Death: Monster now as we come to the end of the second even larger Kickstarter campaign? Well it's primarily for me in that it's a way to record the stories of my settlements, spitball ideas about strategy and tactics, and motivate myself to keep on painting the mountain of plastic I currently have and all those on the way (235 at the moment according to a google doc I'm tracking.) Of course everything is more fun when you get to do it with other people so I'm also hoping that this blog will provide a way to interact with fellow fans and let them read the stories, pontificate on strategy, and share tips on painting.

The plan for content at this stage is to:

  • Start a new settlement and put up the resulting narrative stories. I will also include as a spoilers at the bottom of each update why I made the choices I did.
  • Post up pictures of my models as I paint them. I'm by no means a great painter but I've found in the past this is a good way to motivate myself to keep painting. I also have a real hang up about playing with unpainted models so this motivates me to keep painting so I can keep playing.
  • Discuss Kingdom Death content, the new Kickstarter and all of the amazing resources out there online for fans.
In terms of frequency of updating I'm shooting for 2-3 times a week ( 1 campaign update, 1 painting update and a miscellaneous article). Of course if there's more I feel like saying I'll jump on and say it! Well that's enough for now, time to set up the new settlement! I hope you enjoy and am keen to hear anything you have to say.

2 comments:

  1. Nice, but could you change the background to something a little easier on the eyes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback, I'll play around with it over the next few days.

    ReplyDelete